Posted by: Genny Colby | October 9, 2012

‘Tis the Season!

I have never been as happy to have a land line I can ignore (and block calls on!) than I have during this election season.  Really?  You think your 30 second phone call is going to change my mind or give me an “ah ha moment”?

If you know me, or if you have read my blog before, you can probably figure out what side of the political spectrum I am on.  I am not afraid to share my opinion, I am comfortable with my political beliefs.  And I have toyed with the idea of writing a more political post.  I think that taking an active role in our politics, voting, have an opinion are important rights for all.  I truly believe that we all need to stand up and make our voices heard.  Regardless of what side of the debate you may be on.

I don’t have to agree with you…you don’t have to agree with me.  But we both must be kind, respectful, and polite in our discussions.  And that is what I feel is missing from this year’s political arena…even more so than previous years.  I am tired of being told to vote for one candidate or another simply because the “other guy” is a dirty rotten scoundrel.  If you want to get down to it…ALL politicians are dirty rotten scoundrels.

It seems to me that our political playing field needs a complete re-do.  Why does it seem that our elected officials spend about 10% of their time actually talking about the troubles facing our nation and its citizens?   Why does it seem that the other 90% of the time is spent raising money for their next campaign, playing the political game, and making promises to people who will give them money..a lot of money.  The every day citizen is an afterthought.  If a few small pieces of legislation get passed that actually make a difference for those in need, well isn’t that nice, but it certainty does not feel like a priority.  For either side.

And now we are in the final big push before the fall election.  That means my phone is ringing (or at least filling up my voice mail box!), my mailbox is full of junk political mailings, and my Facebook is cluttered with political notices, demands to vote one way or another…

Can we please just not stoop to the level of our political “leaders”?  Maybe we could teach them a thing or two about how to work together, to make respect differences, and work together.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: